JOB SUMMARY: As a member of the Intellectual Property Team within Engineering Operations, maintain awareness of technical developments and focus on Intellectual Property (IP) issues in assigned product and project teams.
• Maintain a strong knowledge of assigned Polaris product lines
• Integrate with assigned product and project teams
• Implement LEAN operation principles to create optimized and efficient IP processes
• Perform competitive patent searches to identify industry technology trends, develop a strategy to protect key technologies, and assess the competitive patent landscape
• Providing IP intelligence to the business through investigation and monitoring of third-party intellectual property.
• Managing outside counsel in the U.S. and abroad, and working within a budget.
• Perform and distribute regular competitive patent search reports for Off-Road, Snow, Motorcycle, Powertrain, SxS, LEV, international, and diversification initiatives as required, and categorize competitive patents by system and component
• Provide periodic overview of the competitive patent landscape to the product and project teams
• Conduct product patent mining sessions and assist in the development of a patent filing plan
• Review and approve new invention disclosures
• Prepare and present IP updates through the Polaris development process for assigned product and project teams
• Provides assistance to engineers in the preparation of complete invention disclosures as an integral part of the technical development process.
• Perform competitive patent clearance searches and facilitate reviews within assigned product and project teams
• Collaborate with outside patent counsel to prepare and prosecute patent and design applications
Wyoming or Roseau, MN
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
IP Engineer requirements:
• Minimum of 4 year degree, BSEE or BSME degree with control system and electronics experience preferred. Would consider other technical degrees with qualifying experience.
• Must have the ability to read and understand complex patent laws, rules, and procedures.
• Must be able to communicate complex concepts in an easy to understand format.
• Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Prefer 3-5 years Engineering experience.
• Prefer experience in patent searching and patent prosecution.
• Motivated, proactive and confident with a strong drive and will to perform, while also being flexible to handle both large and small projects with enthusiasm.
• Must be able to take ownership of projects and responsibilities in a fast-paced and ever-changing business environment.
Sr. IP Engineer Requirements:
• Additional 2-5 years of experience practicing patent prosecution in a law firm or corporate IP department with a sophisticated patent practice. Thorough knowledge of patent law and international patent procurement practices and procedures.
• Must be registered to practice before the USPTO.
• Experience with the manufacturing and/or consumer product industries
Expires on - 06/30/2017