Main aim of job
Serves as Intellectual Property Counsel for Brose North America; Fosters IP awareness and ensures increased focus on IP efforts in Brose’s the North American organization.
Specific duties and responsibilities (max. 10)
– Contact point for project teams and engineers regarding all IP related matters
– IP consultation and training of engineers in order to raise IP awareness
– Introduction of Brose IP processes, monitoring and maintaining such IP processes
– Ensuring IP project checks according to Brose Product Development Process
– Identification of inventions and evaluation of such inventions with regard to patentability
– Conducting prior art patent searches with internal software tool “patbase”
– Conducting freedom to operate searches
– Observing third party IP rights, focused on local US competitors
– Contact point for the local representatives of Divisions
– Contact point for German Patent Committees of Divisions & preparation and presentation of patent information related to Brose North America inventions
– Interface to local external patent attorneys for patent prosecution and coordination of possible patent disputes
– Supporting the Central Patent Department with regard to inventor remuneration calculations
– Checking IP clauses in contracts (in cooperation with legal department)
– Drafting US patent applications and conducting patent prosecution (depending on qualification and experience of candidate)
Formal education / course of study
JD, Intellectual Property Law
Licensed Patent Attorney/Agent
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
Professional experience (years, function)
Patent Attorney or Agent with emphasis on the Automotive Industry, i.e. mechanical and electromechanical parts for a minimum of 2 years.
Experience within engineering field focused on mechanical/electrical components/products
Specialized knowledge and skills
Conducted prior art patent searches.
Conducted freedom to operate searches.
Investigated and validated potentially infringing products.
Familiar with the patent application and review process of the USPTO.
Ideally worked with inventors regarding scope and description of patentable inventions.
Prepared patent applications (claims, summary, detailed descriptions, drawings)
Brose North America
3933 Automation Ave.
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
Phone: (248) 339-4414
Expires on - 06/30/2017