Presentation on Claim Construction
Tuesday, September 27 2022, 11:45 AM - 1:15 PM,
Please join us on September 27, 2022 for a presentation by Steve Susser from Carlson, Gaskey & Olds.
Topic: Claim Construction
Claim construction is perhaps the single most significant pretrial event in most patent litigation. Often, it is case dispositive. Even when not, it has the potential to reshape the case. And it is not only important for litigators. A patent prosecutor who can anticipate claim construction challenges will be able to lay the groundwork for a more effective enforcement of that patent.
In this presentation, you will learn about:
- The typical claim construction process and some variations
- How to prepare for the claim construction phase
- Tips to make your claim construction presentation outshine your adversary’s
- Common claim construction issues and how to solve them like –
- How to choose the appropriate claim term for construction?
- As the patent holder, do you ask for “plain and ordinary meaning” or propose a construction?
- Is this the right time to argue indefiniteness?
- At which point in the litigation do you want to address claim construction?
Steven Susser has been with Carlson, Gaskey & Olds since 2012. He has been trying commercial cases since 1995 and patent cases since 2000. He has come to love the challenge of unlocking that terrain between a claim that is too narrow to enforce and one that is too broad to maintain. He thanks his colleague, Josh Patrick, for his assistance with this presentation.
11:45am ET Networking
12:00pm ET Presentation
We will update this invite with Zoom info ahead of the meeting